Tuesday, January 4, 2011

When Christmas Cards...Suck

I'm just wondering whether people get sent Christmas Cards from people they don't know? Like that Aussie guy who was sent Thanksgiving emails from a family in America for years. He had the same name as one of their friends. The news story became big when the Aussie decided to email them back, and ask if he could attend their Thanksgiving, knowing full well that he didn't know them...they agreed and they had a great time. http://www.news.com.au/technology/success-james-west-gets-an-invite-to-thanksgiving/story-e6frfro0-1225960177658 If people do get these cards or emails do they write back?

My family has been writing Christmas cards to families and individuals for as long as I can remember. We in turn have been receiving Christmas cards from families and individuals for as long as I can remember. I like to know about what people have been up to in far flung places, that I might have met once in my life, when I was drunk, lying face down on a couch. I do. But I also love and loathe receiving those Christmas cards where the people gloat and boast about their achievements and the rest of their families achievements.

When my mother or father writes about what I have been up to, they, for whatever reason, make me out to sound like some sort of homeless person, who is incapable of making up his own mind on anything. This is only partially true. I can be indecisive and because I have lived in about 7 different places in the last 2 years, I have at times been homeless. Until I have found a nice railway tunnel with a girl named Becki. All of this just means, ultimately my decisions often end up being very fruitful and I have enjoyed the places I have lived, for the most part (when someone can convince me that Newcastle itself isn't a hole, let me know, excluding beaches and lakes). I don't think they have ever mentioned that I went to University or went overseas. They are more likely to write that 'Tim' went missing for fourteen months but that when his indecision gave weigh, he would come home.

For the most part, the Christmas Cards we receive are modest and a great update on other families lives.
Then there is the 'perfect' family ones. The whole family has excelled to such a level that they are the next Kennedy's, without the bad fortune. They are the family who have gone past the Jones's. The phrase 'keeping up the Jones's, doesn't apply to them. The Father runs a massive organisation, which was only possible through the completion of his PhD. The mother has appeared on Masterchef and believes quite vehemently that she would be a better politician than anyone in politics, because she could quickly implement her ideals on the nation. The youngest daughter is already playing her flute at a 9th grade level. The middle son has already started doing HSC subjects at 12 years of age. While the eldest son, from the Father's first marriage, is studying at Uni. He doesn't know what he wants to do yet, because he wants to make money in the corporate sector, but this doesn't sound good for the Christmas letter, so he is thinking of doing Environmental Science, Biodiversity or Human Rights. Which he hopes will land him a gig in Tibet.

This letter sounds a lot better than the Christmas letter my family sends. The letter which makes me out to be a single, jobless, homeless person, who can't make his mind up on anything. I believe they also call me an imbecile. All of this is only half true. However, I am content in the fact that I can make fun of these Boast-It Letters. I am also aware of an elderly family friend of mine who writes back to these Boast-It-Notes in a very humorous fashion....she tries to outdo them. She waits until she gets the letter from them, then picks it a part and sends a letter back, showing her family is superior in each and every way. All of it made up. This works of course because the families haven't the faintest idea what's going on, so long has been the last time they met each other.      
 
On another note, as I have been living in a place that seems void of 20 somethings, I have decided to try online dating, RSVP to be precise. I have no idea if this is a good one or not. I wonder how many people will check out my online profile because I wrote it here. It is a little more tame than Julian Assange's online profile, when he was online dating http://www.pedestrian.tv/arts-and-culture/news/is-this-julian-assanges-online-dating-profile-/29915.htm people shuold read it, for its weirdness. Before you scoff, I met a nice Canadian girl through online dating while I was overseas, and we dated for a while. She didn't have any added fingers or toes and my friends though she was hot. All good signs. It appears Australia is a bit slow on the online dating trend though. If I move to Brisbane I will probably do away with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment