Saturday, November 6, 2010

Are Aussies fatter than Canadians?

Yes.

So when I arrived back home some things hit me. The weather was warm, everything was insanely green, the amount of wildlife and a lady. A lady who was so large she bumped into me... it felt like an assault, such was her frame. 

People are bigger and dress more daggy in Australia (prob because it's warm and people don't care). Now most people know that Australians and Americans are supposed to be the fattest people in the world (places with bigger populations not including some islands). Why?

Pros
1) Australia has a lot less fast food places than there are in Canada or the US.
2) Australian's play a lot of sport and are good at most sports--we hate to lose.
3) We have great weather- so we should be able to excercise outdoors.
4) We drink a lot of Coffee (a diuretic)

Cons

1) Junk food is cheap here. Especially if you go out of a major city.
2) Australian's are ignorant towards being healthy and how much they weigh.
3) Skinny people are often ostracised.
4) We drive everywhere
5) Our bike systems aren't good
6) While it is true that out weather is great, I think that in a cooler climate you can excercise for longer because you don't get overheated and swet as much.
6) We drink a lot of beer (I can get schooner of beer downtown for $4.10 (425ml) - its 40 mls less than a Pint in Canada. So you would be paying around $4.60 for a Pint where I live in Aus for a Canadian equivalent Pint. Although you can still get Pints in Aus but they're 570ml. Confused??

Why it's important. People always go on about why they have to pay so much tax. Part of your tax goes to the health system (hospitals) etc. The cost of obesity in Australia was around $4 billion in 2005 and has gone up. This amount includes (lost producivity, welfare and health system costs). I also don't want to look at fat people- maybe I'm a jerk.

I have done a BMI index on myself to see how 'healthy' I was, only to find out I was nearly overweight. BMI while sometimes working as a way to determine if someone is overweight is increasingly inaccurate. Every player in the NRL would  be overweight or close to it. In fact, the more I go to the gym the more chance I have of being overweight- through BMI. It can't differentiate between muscle and fat....last time I looked, a six pack didn't indicate you were overweight.

According to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html

Australian's on average are fatter than Canadians, but it's determined via BMI. From walking around,
I think Australian's are bigger on average. Canadians may lose weight trying to keep warm from the cold but I did notice there were a lot of gyms in Canada to compensate the colder climate.

*Some words are spelt differently in Aus than Canada.
* This person is fat accoridng to BMI and should not be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment