Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Things some Canadian's get wrong about Aus and some advice.

If you come to Aus you will no-doubt be killed in some way, shape or form by something poisonous that
your Geography teacher didn't even tell you about. I mean there are only 22 million Australian's. I wonder how many there would be if the only animals were chipmunks and squirrels?

In all seriousness, I have been home for three weeks and I haven't seen an animal that could even potentially kill me. I have, however, seen a Wallaby, a couple of Kangaroos and a brush turkey without even trying. If you come to Australia, you probably won't see something that can kill you. I have surfed hundreds of days and haven't seen a shark. I grew up on a property and saw some snakes, but unless you step on one (because you're blind) or harass one (because you're an idiot) you won't get attacked.

Australians are uncouth roughnecks like Crocodile Dundee or beach bimbos: There are these people but they're in the minority. Plus I like beach bimbos.

Foster's is everywhere: You won't see foster's in Australia. If you do happen to see it and someone drinking it, punch them. Punch them hard. There are way better beers!

We love our sports as much as Canadians like hockey: This is true. If you go to Victoria support any team but Collingwood in the AFL. If you go to New South Wales support any team but the Brisbane Broncos. If you go to Queensland support the Brisbane Broncos. If you go to a cricket game support Australia.

Everyone calls each other mate: I do call people mate sometimes. But I would never call a girl mate (see roughneck).

It doesn't snow in Australia: It does and I can prove it http://www.ski.com.au/

Before coming to Australia realise that the capital cities are expensive- especially Sydney. Don't go to a capital city and then go back to Canada and go "wow Australia was really expensive". Sydney is Toronto but looks like Vancouver (expensive, nice harbour and okay beaches). Melbourne is Montreal (culture   capital) and Brisbane is Ottawa (smaller, lots of pubs). These are the best analogies I can do.  If you want value for money get out of the cities. Fly into Sydney spend a couple of days there. See the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi, Manly, Blue Mountains then go down to Kiama or drive up the Pacific Highway checking out Newcastle (bar beach and mereweather). Keep driving North to Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour. Then keep driving up to Ballina and Byron Bay. All of these places are worth checking out in NSW. Before you get to the Gold Coast and Brisbane. If you would rather see some 'real' Australia drive up the New England Highway rather than the Pacific Highway.

If you fly into Brisbane check it out for a couple of days then had down to the Gold Coast, then Byron, Lennox, Ballina and for an even more casual spot Yamba or Iluka. You  can also drive up North to the Sunshine Coast and Cairns.

In Australia. Do check out the smaller beach villages and towns. Do check out the rainforest's in Northern NSW and Southern Queensland. Don't fall into the tourist trap of spending all your time at Bondi, Manly, Byron Bay or Noosa (check them out but don't stay longer than necessary if you're here for a short time).

You can fly between the different Australian cities. It will cost you about the same as it would in Canada, if you don't get some sort of deal. You can get a train to each capital city. It is cheap in comparison but it takes a long time and the trains aren't as good as Canada. I don't know how much coaches cost. There would be coaches catered towards backpackers that would take you all over Australia no doubt. It may be the easiest option if you don't have access to a car.

Cost

Cars - In Australia, cars cost more than in Canada, however, our insurance is twice as cheap. I would pay about a 1000 bucks to get my rego and insurance every year.

Food - I think food costs more in the cities (more so Sydney) in Australia than in Canada, but vice versa once you get   out of the cities. Same with alcohol. Beer is def cheaper in my home town than in BC.

Clothes: Are more expensive in Australia. However, the price you see on the price tag is the actual price of the item. Taxes are included in the price of an item in Aus.

Wages- Minimum wage in NSW is $14.40 an hour. I believe its similar across Aus. Why do you think there are some many Aussies overseas? We can save in this country.

Weather- http://www.weatherzone.com.au/  is a good website. Check out when the best time to come is.

Tipping: The only time I ever tip in Aus is when I go to a nice restaurant on say a date. I never tip when I go to the bar or when I use a taxi. People's wages are higher to accommodate for tips. Some would say that this means customer service is worse. Personally, I felt harassed at times in Canada because of the overzealous sales people. Each to their own. The price you see on a menu is the actual price. If something is $11.99 it's $11.99. Its not say $13.20 after tax and not $15.00 after tips.

Phone: We have really good plans in Australia. You will never be charged for receiving a text or call on an Australian mobile, unlike Canada.

I haven't talked about Victoria as I don't know it very well. I have heard that Melbourne is the best city in Australia though.

1 comment:

  1. I love all these comparisons! Although I wouldn't say Melbourne is the best city in Australia...definitely prefer Brisbane :)

    ReplyDelete