Monday, November 1, 2010

Roller Derby

I should be 1) Looking for a job 2) Growing my mustache, 3) Getting ready to go to the pub for Melbourne cup shenanigans. I'm going to write a blog on Roller Derby instead.

So i was fortunate to go and see roller derby in Kelowna, Canada. The chicks, I mean girls had more balls than me and it got me thinking what my name would be if, i, could actually skate and joined a roller derby league.

Now i don't have black hair, tattoos and a passion for horror films which is prob 80 percent of normal roller derby players. However, if I did compete under a pseudonym, I believe it would be Vagina8r.

On quick inspection I came to the realisation that this name has already been taken, as has beaver control. Of course, I am only looking at names that my Grandma would cringe at.

I am thinking of Rooter McGavin at this point in time.

Rules- Of Roller Derby.

"There are rules and points and strategies, but at most Roller Derby matches the only people who seem to be aware of them are the people playing. If you know someone who plays on a Roller Derby team, you should treat them like a white person who does improv. Encourage them in their efforts, but make it clear that you will not pay money to watch their hobby." --- from http://www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/  and no it's not a racist website. It's a satirical look at what white people adore- like Mos Def and Bumper Stickers and why.

In my opinion the sport is well worth paying for to watch. I won't actually play it because I would get run over and die but that's beside the point. In Aus the sport is growing exponentially. Google it and you will see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment