Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What I know about Women

For those in the know, there has been a column in the Life section of the SMH entitled 'What I know about Women,' written by Men. I thought I would ad to the collection.

My Mum, Cathie, has always been a fighter. She is extremely selfless (like my Father) and doesn't have a bad bone in her body. This phrase is used a lot- but I think those that know her would agree. My mother is the kind of person, who instead of giving a homeless person money, will go into a shop and buy them a pie. Now I know there is a fine line with being generous and being walked over. But if everyone was as generous and caring as her, there would be no need to worry about the scruples of others.

She was brought up in the small, rural town of Mudgee. More famous these days for its wines and tourism. Her family didn't have much, but they did have a belief in looking out for one another. She doesn't condemn or criticize anyone, until she knows all the facts. She is one of the smartest people I know. She can devour books in a day and always has an educated opinion on contemporary topics. It is safe to say that both my Mum and Sister are more intelligent than I will ever be. But I will be better at Rugby than they will ever be :)....hopefully.

I would say that about half my friends are girls or maybe more. Females are better at weighing up different issues and giving genuine answers. They are better at gathering information and suggesting different alternatives of action. They are more careful when making important decisions and thus less reckless and ego driven. Women are also physically beautiful and look after themselves.

I have learned a lot from Women. I used to be a bit ego driven. At Uni I would walk up to girls in Clubs/Bars and say things like 'So what have you got going for you apart form your looks' etc. But through girls, I have dropped any ego that I may have had and become more passionate and understanding. Girls give me someone to talk to about the world and my interests. They talk less about mind numbing things than males do. Not that I don't like to talk about the Rugby, Cricket or NHL at times.

If guys had to give birth, we would probably cry for about a month afterwards. So hats off to my Mum, Sister and all the girls I have been lucky enough to meet and are friends of mine.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. Has your mother been lucky enough to read it? I'm sure it would warm her heart.

    (btw... i'm not totally random. I found you on 20SB :P)

    ReplyDelete