Monday, January 10, 2011

Hockey In Canada from the perspective of an Aussie

Growing up in Australia the only sports I cared for were League and Cricket with a dash of Rugby and (field) Hockey on the side. I believe some Mexicans (Victorians) support a game going by the name of AFL, but I’m not sure.

Going to Canada one of things I noticed after landing in Vancouver were these flags spruiking some sort of dolphin creature. I quickly got told that this wasn’t a flying, friendly dolphin but rather symbolised the Vancouver Hockey team. The dolphin was in fact a Killer Whale and that the Vancouver fans not the team should be feared. 



I was also became accustomed to women wearing these outfits.



I quickly learnt that Canadians dislike it when you call their game ‘Ice Hockey’. They call our Hockey ‘Field Hockey’ and think it’s girly. I don’t agree, but it’s what they think.

Flying into Vancouver, I knew that I had to support a team. I chose the Canucks only because they were going okay and I felt that I would get bashed up in Vancouver, if I said I was going for the Oilers.
One thing you will notice in Canada is Canadians going for American teams. I couldn’t really believe this. After all, I would expect someone to punch me here, if I woke up disorientated and said I was going to go for the ‘All Blacks’ or the ‘Warriors’.

I never got to see an NHL game. I did, however, get to see the Kelowna Rockets play, a kind of feeder club for the NHL. NHL is great, it is really faced paced and it is rough. Kind of like League on Ice, but they don’t really stop the fights. In fact, they have designated fighters on the teams that ruffle some feathers from time to time. You think its hard fighting normally, try fighting on skates.


Everyone to my knowledge in Canada can skate. I played come ‘field’ hockey growing up, so my hand eye coordination isn’t terrible, but my friend Steph would still dangle (make me look stupid) all the time.





 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment